Tuesday, May 10, 2011

J.J. Jackson - Boogaloo Baby/But It's Alright






This 45 hails from the same fifty cent bin as yesterday's record. My copy has a label defect where they listed the A-side on both sides! Normally that'd be a good thing, except the B-side is what charted! J.J. Jackson's "But It's Alright"... normally when I'm at work I am put through muzak hell with this song, primarily because stations don't play the original, but the Huey Lewis & The News cover. But the original '66 version has a lot of soul. Primarily an English record, the song was co-written with Pierre Tubbs and recorded with an all English band, this fell right in line with the mid-60's mod "Northern Soul" school of music. I honestly, prefer the B-side, but that's me. As a bonus, I'm including "Oo-Ma-Liddi," a wild R&B song he did in the early 60's on the Prelude label. This one has a real gone Richard Berry feel, and he REALLY CUTS LOOSE! You can find this second nonsensical rocker on "Born Bad Volume 6" and as an added bonus I included the song as it appeared on the Lux Interior "Purple Knif" show, with his outro announcement. Enjoy!

Boogaloo Baby/But It's Alright
J.J. Jackson
Calla-119
1966

No comments:

Post a Comment